Shown as Edward MERIWETHER
There was living at Barstone or Barfreystone, in Kent, in the XIV century
members of the Merrywether family. This village is somewhere about ten
miles from Deal. There is nothing of great interest in this place except
the Church--which is an ancient foundation: it was built around 1100. It
is only forty-three feet in length. Its walls are substantial and in a
fairly good state of preservation, being two feet nine inches in
thickness. Not very far away is the village of Shepherdswell, sometimes
written Sibberteswold; where the pride of the village is not that of a
Norman Church so much as a large bell, which hangs outside the Inn,
facing the old Church; and let the truth be known to all the world, this
Inn, with its bell, is mentioned in Doomsday Book.
Barston has also a small Manor called Hartanger, which in Doomsday Book
is written Hertange. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth this Manor belonged
to the Browns of Beechworth Castle; then it was alienated to Francis
Santon, Esq., whose heir passed it away to Edward Merrywether, who was
the second son of Edward of Shepherdswell, who lived in residence here
until his death in 1621. (20 James I.) He was interred in the Church. His
family continued to live here until about the middle of the seventeenth
century, when the property was sold to a William Pot, a citizen and
apothecary of London.
In November, 1607, Armorial Bearings were granted to Edward Merywether of
Barfreystone, Kent. They are blazoned as follows:--Or, three martlets
sable, on a chief azure, a Sun in Splendour, or, Crest, an armed hand,
holding a sword Argent, Pommel and Hilt or, on each a serpent involved
proper. Motto: Vi et consilio.
Banns for the Mar in Canterbury Marriage Licences1568-1618, Merriwether
Edward of Shepherdswell, Gent, and Ursula Shrubsall of Faversham v
Anthonty Deale of Faversham, Gent, Banns 1st Oct 1593
Susannah Dale, Born at St George's Canterbury, residence at Mar Broadgate
Hall, Barfrey stone.